In 2004, an organisation was formed to restore part of the railway and the original slate works at Felin Fawr, Coed-y-Parc, near Bethesda. About approximately one mile of the original trackbed was acquired, described by many as perhaps one of the most scenic sections near the village of Bethesda.
It is not necessarily the intention to provide a tourist railway in the traditional well-proven format, but to provide opportunities for those interested to get involved and become part of something truly special. The aim is to recreate the past and to encourage visitors to imagine and devise their own interpretations of past times at Penrhyn.
The first stage of track relaying is complete, giving a ¼ mile (400 metre) line. The missing bridge at St Anns Hill needs to be replaced before the next ¾ mile (1200 metres) of trackbed can be accessed by the railway. The line will then run from Felin Fawr to just south of Hendurnpike.
The Penrhyn Quarry Railway Society supports the rebuilding of the railway and actively acquires historical artefacts and photographs of the railway and quarry. We actively encourage modelling of the railway and the publication of books about the railway. Our acclaimed quarterly journal, Y Llechen/The Slate, publishes news on the railway, original historical research, previously-unpublished photographs and reprints of relevant articles from as long ago as 1856.